Monday, June 25, 2007

The birth story


At long last Keziah Adelaide Revilla has joined the world. I was scheduled to be induced on June 21st, but she had other ideas. On Tuesday night I started having contractions every 7 minutes apart and by 3pm they were 5 minutes. We headed off to the hospital and after being checked and walking around I was only at 3 cm, so they sent me home. We were told to come back in the morning for our scheduled induction

I took a very long bath at home to ease the pain of the contractions which was a big relief. After having dinner we settled in to watch a movie. Throughout the night I would jump up off the couch to breath through a contraction. My husband went to bed and I stayed up knowing that this was going to be a long night. Another bath to deal with the contractions and listening to knitting podcasts was in order. I kept telling myself to make in until 6 am before calling the hospital. By 6 I woke up my husband and told him that we needed to get going pretty soon. We took showers and headed off. I called the hospital to let them know we were on our way. I was told to call them an hour before the scheduled induction to get it ready. I was told they didn't have any beds and that someone would call me back in the afternoon to come in. I said I was coming in because my contractions were on top of each other. I didn't care where I delivered, it was time!

Once we got there they checked me and I was at 8 cm. There was a flurry of activity to get me ready to deliver. I think the nurses thought there wouldn't be enough time to even get me down the hallway. I asked for an epidural because I was exhausted. I was able to get one, but they gave me such a low dose of medicine that I still felt everything. After getting blood drawn and settled in bed I was already at 9cm and feeling like pushing. My water still had not broken. By 7:30 am it was time to push and the doctors thought it would be very quick. Well, Keziah had other plans.

During the 2 hours of pushing she had somehow tilted her head and was coming out forehead first. No matter how much or how long I pushed she was not coming down. I was so exhausted. The doctor told me I had three options: Keep pushing (no thanks!), vacuum extraction (this was risky because of how she was positioned), or a C-Section. Very enthusiastically I opted for the c-section. Once they got me in the O/R she was born just 30 minutes later. It was quite a chore to keep pushing through all the contractions while I was being prepped for surgery.

I am so glad she is finally here! She is an incredible little girl and in my opinion, beautiful. What a great addition to our family.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you and your family.

-Ilana

Unknown said...

Jackie - -

Hooray for you!!!!! What a long haul that one turned out to be - you're already a wonderful mother for going through all of that without breaking anything, stamping your feet in huge temper tantrums, or giving in the urge to have just *one* glass of red wine to calm your nerves!

;>

Congratulations to all of you - your daughter is just beautiful and your son looks thrilled - as does your husband. What truly wonderful days those first few ones home are, 'ay?

Anonymous said...

We can't wait to see your new baby. Congratulations! I need to find someone to make me some nachos!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.